Following Our Waters:
Connecting Activists from Mt. Shasta to Mt. Fuji
May 8 to 14, 2019
Trip Price: $3,300 plus service fee
($495 due upon booking, balance due March 24, 2019)
We are pleased to announce our first international study trip, in collaboration with Global Exchange Reality Tours.
Resource extraction isn’t only a problem for third world countries, it’s a big issue in our community. Otsuka Pharmaceuticals/Crystal Geyser is taking unknown yet massive amounts of spring water, packaging it in plastic bottles and shipping it all the way to Japan.
With inadequate environmental reviews and even SLAPP lawsuits – targeting individual citizens personally with exorbitant legal fees – this unethical company drives global plastics pollution and uses unnecessary energy to ship water (at 8 pounds per gallon) halfway around the world.
A group of Mt. Shasta environmental activists came up with the idea for this trip. “We wanted to see where our waters have gone, and in the process connect with Japanese people, to learn more and raise everyone’s awareness. It’s time to disrupt this incredibly harmful industry”, said Ecology Center Board Member Andy Fusso. “We’re all in this together!”
Participants will be invited to a post-trip summer gathering back in Mt. Shasta, where we will return Crystal Geyser water we found in Japan to our mountain’s Headwaters Spring!
Trip highlights include:
- Edo Tokyo Museum
- Fukushima – tour and meetings with activists (optional)
- Ryokan in Nikko
- Tosho-gu World Heritage Shrine
- Ashio Copper Mine Museum and Tatebayashi activists
- Oshino Hakkai village; hiking and hot springs near Mt. Fuji
- Tokyo – Activist Roundtable on water bottling with dinner/reception
Land Price $3,300 plus service fee and includes:
- All confirmations in the program
- Double room accommodations in three-star economy hotels or traditional inns.
- 3 meals daily
- Transportation by private, air-conditioned motor coach as well as transfers for group as appropriate
- English speaking, tour guide(s)/Facilitator to accompany the group throughout the touring period
- Preparatory reading materials
- Honoraria for speakers
- Any international flights
- Expenses of a purely personal nature
- Room service charges
- Transportation of luggage in excess of weight allowance
- Airport taxes
- Travel Insurance (We strongly advise participants arrange for their own travel insurance, we can suggest a provider in welcome materials)
- Gratuities/tips are not common place in Japan and therefore our partners have discouraged us/you/the group from leaving them.
- Extra Beverages
When you sign up for this trip by clicking “Request Booking” on this page, Global Exchange will collect a trip deposit of $495 (plus 5.5% nonrefundable processing fee). There must be a minimum of 10 participants signed up to confirm the trip, and Global Exchange will let you know as soon as that happens. Your final balance is due 45 days from departure (March 24) and will automatically be withdrawn from the same card you use to make your deposit unless you request otherwise at least 50 days prior to departure.
Please note the trip price does NOT include international airfare and Global Exchange does not arrange air travel. However, once we confirm the trip, we will be happy to connect you with a specialist that can assist you with making your flight arrangements.
Once you register, Drea Hightower of Global Exchange will send a follow up confirmation email. The Mount Shasta Bioregional Ecology Center is co-promoting this trip which is contracted between you and Global Exchange.
Should you have any questions, you may email Drea at firstname.lastname@example.org or Bianca Garza at email@example.com –
** Again, this trip is not confirmed until the minimum group size of 10 is met. Drea will remain in communication with participants in regards to this. Please see below to view the Health and Liability Form and Guidelines & Code of Conduct which are your agreement with Global Exchange **
AT A GLANCE
- 7 days
- 1 – 25 guests per booking
- Includes pick up and drop-off
- May 8 to 14
- Offered in English
- Cancellation: $500 deposit can be transferred to another tour within a year.
For reference, here are copies of Global Exchange’s Health and Liability and Guidelines/Code of Conduct forms. These forms, a detailed preliminary itinerary, and study materials will be sent to participants upon receipt of their booking and trip deposit.